A mosaic of many small steps in the right directions
Presentation by Hans-Peter Plag
Presented on April 22, 2008 at during the Mackay Centennial Celebration at the University of Nevada, Reno, NV, USA
Copyright 2008, Hans-Peter Plag
Download the complete presentation as pdf
NOTE 1: This site is still under construction and not all of the about sixty slides are available yet.
NOTE 2: This presentation is a slightly augmented version of a similar presentation given on April 18, 2008 at the EarthStock at Stony Brook University. See EarthStock for the online version of this presentation.
This presentation has the following main parts:
- Introduction: Some preliminary remarks on the sustainability
- Humanity: Our abilities and potentials
- Humanity's impact on the Earth system: we have acquired the power to change the Earth system substantially, we have entered the Anthropocene, but we not learned to wield the power.
- The Challenge: We are facing potential extinsion and we have to become good stewards of the Earth in order to survive.
- Towards sustainability: Do we have the tools to assess progress towards sustainability?
- Can we meet the individual environmental, social, and economic challenges: we have the ethics, concepts, and technology. But do we have the value system and the will to go there?
- What you can do: there are many small steps each of us can contribute in the private, social, and work life.
- Will we make it?